Thursday, June 3, 2010

Every Rose Has Its Thorn

My second Taxol is complete! I didn’t have any problems with the first round besides minor fatigue so fingers are crossed it stays that way. My treatment day is usually Wednesday but because of the holiday I went in on Thursday this week. Boy, am I glad I did! I found out that the first Thursday of every month is donut day! So from now on I may have a scheduling issue with the first week of every month and demand a Thursday treatment day.


Besides the donuts, there is another reason I am super glad I was there today instead of yesterday. As I am sitting in my chair I caught a glimpse of a man with long blonde hair and a blue bandanna strutting in the room like he owned the place. Holy crap that’s Bret Michaels! I almost peed my pants. But it wasn’t. It was even better. It was a middle aged man who was having some fun with his hair loss situation and I was lucky enough that he sat in my row. He had the outfit complete with ripped jeans and pointy cowboy boots. (The attached picture is of Bret Michaels, not the dude from chemo today. I just want everyone to know what he looks like. I’m kicking myself for not taking picture of the dude from today.) It was one of the best things I’ve seen. And for five minutes, our whole row of chemo patients rolled with laughter. And for those five minutes, he gave us the gift of forgetting we were all sitting in there fighting for our lives while poison is being pumped into our bodies to kill the poison that isn’t supposed to be there. And that was a great gift.

That got me thinking about Every Rose Has Its Thorn. (For those who don’t know, Bret Michaels was in one of my favorite bands from the 80s called Poison and they had a song called Every Rose Has Its Thorn. Just so you know where the logic is coming from. I’m not completely nuts. All though the song is about a girl and a breakup and that is not where I am going with this. But work with me people.) Call me cheesy but I thought, “Huh, life is like a rose.” (Insert Forest Gump mockery here.) See life is a beautiful and fragile thing, like a rose. Sure it has it’s thorns but the important part is not to let those thorns interfere with admiring the beauty of the rose itself. If you do get pricked by a thorn, cuss a little then go back to admiring the beauty. And let’s not forget that the thorns are there for a reason. To protect the rose (like from your dumb ass that got pricked by it). In life, whatever thorns we are forced to overcome serve to protect us. They protect us from forgetting how fragile life can be and they serve as a reminder to enjoy the beauty that is our life. And they give us strength and courage. Thank you to the man today who turned one of his “thorns” into entertainment and laughter.

Love to all.

12 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that some one was there to help you all laugh and forget why you were there. I am so gald that you are doing so well.To bad that wasn't the real Bret Micheals, it would of been awesome if you could of meet him,since you like him and his music. My love and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal I don't know quite what to say, but you are my beautiful rose. I would pick you any time, throns & all. May God Bless you. I love you very much. My prayers are with you, as always. Love You

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those words my child are just like you, beautiful. I am so proud of you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Turtle! Love you chingos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost peed MY pants when I read Bret was there! LOL! I'm so glad you are meeting such uplifting people at the chemo place. Keep up the good attitude and I hope you have some more celebrity sitings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I was gonna say if Bret is there maybe I need to be going with you :) So glad there are others that can make you laugh while you're going through this, just as you are always given all of us a laugh.

    Love ya
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Nana said, I would pick you any time, any day. I would love to be more like you. You have taught me so much, through your ordeal. It's really kind of strange and I don't quite understand it yet, but there's something God wanted you to do, and you are doing it. I love you and am so damn proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and by the way, "Poison", I would have done ":"<>:"> just to see him. (Please don't tell my grandkids")

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every rose has it's thorn and yet you still find the beauty in it. Your head my have no hair but, Kaia found beauty in it. I love the way that you are keeping your spirits and everybody else that surrounds you in great spirits. Keep on kicking ass and being beautiful. We all see it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. God has a plan for you Crystal and I see it more with every blog entry. You truly have the best attitude Ive ever seen and you are showing everyone that stupid cancer doesnt have to be a bad thing. I only wish that I could be half the an upbeat, positive thinking person you are!!! You are truly inspiring! We love you and, as mee maw said, would pick you anytime!! Keep up the good fight and keep kickin' cancer's ass!!! Much love to you and the fam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your blog. You have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crystal, your blogs are so eloquent and inspiring. You should make a book of them. I admire you so much and pray for you daily. Keep up your excellent attitude. Love to you and your family, Jo Ellen

    ReplyDelete