Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Am I Just Paranoid? Am I Just Stoned?

So did you hear Willie Nelson cut off his pig tails? I haven’t confirmed, but I’ve been told he did it to show support for me. Ok, you caught me. That is a total and complete lie. But I do think having his pig tails as a wig would so rock!! I already have the handkerchiefs, I just need the ponies!


I had round one of the Taxol today. It went really well. They had originally told me to plan on being there all day but we got there at 8:30 and were done by 12:30. And I actually didn’t start the actual treatment until about 10 because I had labs drawn and met with the oncologist first. I had to sit in one of the chairs by the nursing station (not the usual window seat I prefer) because there is a slight but serious risk of an allergic reaction to the Taxol so the crew needs to be close in the event that happens. They actually gave me some Benadryl via my port before the Taxol as precaution. My dad wanted to know how they would know if I had an allergic reaction if they gave me Benadryl first. Very good question and I forget to ask. I’ll try to remember next time. So when the nurse was hooking it up she said, “Now because you are so small, this will probably hit you like a really strong margarita.” My response was, “This is the best chemo round ever!” In reality, I thought, “Yep, you don’t know who you’re talking to woman. I grew up on the border. I took my sippy cup frozen with salt.” (You got to be tough to live on the border as my PaPa Roy would say.) Yeah, well, she knew exactly what she was talking about. About five minutes later, I was working and looked up to say something to Kevin and my mouth just didn’t work properly. Time to stop working before I do something stupid. So I kicked back in my chair with my pillow and blanket and enjoyed the buzz. It was the first time I ever watched TV while there. Usually I work, read or FB. Not today. Well, I did post the margarita thing on FB and spelled “strong” and “margarita” wrong so I quit. Once the Benadryl and anti-nausea meds were done, they hooked up the Taxol. They set it to drip very slowly at first to see how I would react to it and gave me a long laundry list of “if you feel this, call us immediately.” “If anything feels wrong at all, call us immediately. “ I have to admit, I was really nervous about the whole allergic reaction thing. I always get online to research this stuff before I go in to give me an idea of what to expect and I stupidly got caught up in a blog where everyone and their next door neighbor’s dog had a severe allergic reaction to it. Sure, I had found just as many people if not more that had gone through it just fine but come on we all know those are the boring stories. I wanted action and drama. Big mistake. As I am sitting in the chair and I start to worry about every little thing. “My finger just twitched. Should I call them?”. “My knee cap itches. Could it be an allergic reaction?”. “My ear hurts like crazy. This surely has to be an allergic reaction!” No, it wasn’t. I was just lying on my ear phones wrong. That’s when I realized that I was being paranoid. Wait, did that nurse say margarita or marijuana? Yet another reason to get my hands on those Willie ponies. Surely, they’d know. Anyway, every 15 minutes or so, they came to check on many and since I was doing well, they would increase the amount I was getting. I didn’t have any problems at all. (Well, with the exception of being loopy.) So we were all done, Kevin and I packed up our stuff, scheduled all of my treatments for June and headed out for a bite.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. My comment earlier about time to stop working before I do something stupid well I did stop working but about two hours ago, I sent a text message to my sister and the convo went like this:

Me: Willie cut his ponies off!
Her: LOL!
Me: Why are you loling? That doesn’t make you sad!?
Then I realized that the text message had not gone to my sister but to a professional contact of mine whose name also begins with a D. I quickly explained and he’s a cool cat so he got a good chuckle. I’m just thankful I didn’t use some of the names my sister and I lovingly call each other like “Bitch Face.” That would have required more splainin Lucy!
Love to all!

4 comments:

  1. You're hilarious!!! Love you Bitch Face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One Taxol down!! You gotta love that benedryl. When I was in the hospital with my stomach the first time, they had perscribed me morphine, but I just asked for benedryl (scared of the big stuff). Benedryl was some good stuff, can't imagine what a whole bag would do! Seriously, glad to hear you are still doing good and have you sense of humor. Know that prayers are always being sent from my heart to God's ears. Love you Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Thank you very much! I was having....NO I THOUGHT I was having a crappy day and Boo Boo text me to tell me you had updated your blog. As always, you made me laugh and I also just felt "selfish" for thinking "I" was having a bad day. Mine is just work "bs" which you thankfully made me realize "this ain't nothing"....Crystal, we all love you so much. I have and will continue to pray for you and your family daily. You have taught me so much since this ordeal has began with you. I'm so so sorry, for everything you are going through, but I have no doubt you are kicking ass and will beat this 100%!

    I am pretty sure Willie is looking for you to give you his pony!

    I pray God will continue to be with you and carry you through this.

    Love you

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal, Iam sorry for everything you have been through and still going through. As I said before you are so amazing and such a strong woman. I know you will beat this and come out even stronger. We can all learn a thing or two from you. As always my love and prayers are with you. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete