Monday, August 2, 2010

Phase II...The Demolition

I met with the surgeon today to discuss what I call Phase Two of my treatment, the demolition of my boobies. The bilateral mastectomy. She is the same one who performed the biopsy, placed my port and tested and removed my lymph nodes so I already know her. In fact, she is the one who called to tell me I had cancer. Despite that, I think she is wonderful. She explained the process and recovery to Kevin and I so now we have a better understanding of what to expect. And of course I took my little pad and pen in with all of my questions. Surgery will be scheduled sometime after my last chemo treatment on August 11. As long as my WBC is good we can schedule it as soon after chemo as I want if my oncologists agrees. My WBC has been in the threes since I started Taxol and ended the AC treatments which the surgeon said would be fine but last week it was 1.4 which would not be ok due to risk of infection. Hopefully they will go back up and stay there. I would like to move on to Phase Two as quickly as possible. The quicker I can get that done the quicker I can start radiation, Phase Three.


She is doing what is called a skin sparing mastectomy. She will go in and remove all of the tissue from my breasts but will leave the skin. This won’t look pretty but in the long run it will be better for Phase Four Reconstruction…Operation New Boobies. I choose the same hospital that I delivered Kaia and Caleb in because I know they have a Frullati Cafe in their cafeteria and I love their smoothies! That’s a good reason to choose a hospital right? She said to expect an overnight stay in the hospital. The pain will be so bad that I wouldn’t be able to control it at home so they will keep me to give me morphine. All right, all right, all right. Smoothies and morphine. Then they will send me home with some pain pills and of course those lovely drains. If you recall I had a drain when my lymph nodes were removed. For this surgery I will probably have at least two. I hate the drains. They will stay in from a week to three weeks. Restrictions are no driving or heavy lifting for a week. She said to rest but still go out and do things like shop and have dinner. I swear to you she said shop. My sister thought I made that part up but Kevin was there to hear it all! I have a witness. Then by week two I can start doing more. I just have to be careful if I still have the drains especially with the kids and I still have to take it somewhat easy. Once I recover from surgery I can start radiation, Phase Three. My wonderful mom is coming up to help us out during my surgery and recovery which will be a huge help. All though I’m not looking forward to having no boobies, I am ready to get on with the next phase. I don’t meet with my oncologists this week so I will have to wait until the 11th to talk to her about her thoughts on scheduling. She told me when I first started that I shouldn’t have to wait long after chemo to have the surgery. Come one counts, don’t fail me now.

Love to all.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a lot to digest, but as usual, you are amazing. AND, it can't be ALL bad if it's Doctor's orders to go shopping. Hmmm....I wonder if you can file your charge receipts with your insurance company...hahaha And since you can't lift, you are really gonna be looking like "somebody" having assistants (Your Mom, Missy, Kevin...the kids) following you around carrying all your shopping bags :)

    Seriously, I know this is a lot to handle and think about. Remember..."Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding"; "When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid.

    Lots of love and prayers coming at ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Crystal, you have accomplished soooo freaking much and still have the greatest attitude I have ever ever witnessed in my 50 years. I continue to learn so much from you and your blogs. I love you so much and am so confident that you will get through the next stages with flying colors (oh and maybe alot of flying colors, depending on how much morphine they give ya). Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't know what to say. You have been through so much already, now this.You are very strong and I know you will come through this with flying colors. You are not alone, The Lord is right there by your side. Just lean on him.I know you will see the light at the end of the tunnel as I have said before.I will be praying for you as always. May the Lord Bless You and keep you in his hands. Love you very very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have really been through it. You are one strong,amazing,and beautiful woman. Keep the faith. May God keep you and your family in his loving care. My love and prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can shopping and no heavy lifting go together? I need to learn to shop like that!

    Thinking of you as always! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree, your strength, courage, and spunk ARE inspirational. Praying for good, stable WBC numbers, joy and peace for you and your precious family
    Love to all,
    Tori, Kris and kiddos

    ReplyDelete