Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Sister's New Ink

Anyone that knows my sister and I know how close we are.  To say we are best friends is an understatement.  Well, she recently went above and beyond (as usual) and got a new tat to honor me.  Below is her explanation of it's meaning and a pic of my beautiful hip sister and her new ink.  Love you Doodle!


Lotus:  Lotus flowers are amazing and have strong symbolic ties to many Asian religions especially throughout India. The lotus flower starts as a small flower down at the bottom of a pond in the mud and muck. It slowly grows up towards the waters surface continually moving towards the light. Once it come to the surface of the water the lotus flower begins to blossom and turn into a beautiful flower. Within Hinduism and Buddhism the lotus flower has become a symbol for awakening to the spiritual reality of life. The meaning varies slightly between the two religions of course but essentially both religious traditions place importance on the lotus flower.

Turtle: Turtles are fascinating creatures. Their thick shells keep them safe from predators and provide them shelter, and they are known to reach ages that far surpass even humans. Polynesian and Hawaiian turtle tattoos are very common. Within these cultures, the turtle represents the calmness and tranquility that their cultures are known for. In other cultures, the turtle can represent bravery, endurance, wisdom, perseverance, safety, or longevity.

My New Ink:  Crystal has been Turtle for years now and although I tell people that we call her that cause it takes her forever to do anything, the nickname started with a sweet little baby cousin trying to say Crystal.  After reading what the turtle symbolizes, it occurred to me; maybe the little guy was on to something and maybe that’s why it stuck.  I have always loved the lotus flower and the beauty it represents.  I look at the lotus flower as a symbol of what we should all strive to be.  Never have I known someone who has met my sister to deny the fact that she is a strong, beautiful and independent woman, nor have I.  As many know, recently she has been challenged with the unfair battle of breast cancer, one that could devour a person’s will if they allow it.  Not my sister.  Not a chance.  Words cannot describe how far beyond strong, beautiful and independent Crystal is and how she has proven that in the last few weeks.  She is my lotus.  She is my Turtle!  The impact she has had on my own life in this moment will never be forgotten- hence, my new ink.       


6 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Both you girls are amazing. Love to you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. Missy, you never cease to amaze me, just like your older sister. Both of you are very, very special people and an inspiration to us all. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has blessed each of you with an amazing friend and sister. I love the new ink, it is beautiful!! Love to you both

    ReplyDelete
  4. This everyone is our daughters. We are so proud of you both. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew the two of you were close, but I didn't realize just how close. What you two have is very special. You are lucky to have each other. I am proud of you both. God bless you both and your families. My love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The relationship you two have is phenomenal! You both amaze me....and make me jealous. lol

    ReplyDelete