Thursday, March 11, 2010

Holy Busy Next Week Batman!

Ok, next week will be busy, here is the latest:


Monday
I have an Echo scheduled for 9am. This tests my heart and is purely routine for chemo patients.

After that I go to my surgeon to have my port put it. It will be placed under my collar bone and will just appear as a little bump under the skin. This is how the chemo will be delivered to my body. Or it could be some type of government experiment, I’m not sure. I’m told the procedure will put me out of commission for the rest of the day, mainly due to being drugged up. So I can’t drive or operate heavy machinery after. (I’m pretty sure Caleb counts as heavy machinery.)

Tuesday
Chemo class at 8 in the morning which should last an hour then I have a blood draw for labs done right after.
At 10:45 I go in to get injected for the bone scan. After that is done, I am free until 2 when I have to go back for the actual bone scan.
Thursday
Chemo starts at 9:10. The first day they told me to expect to be there about 6 hours. They have wireless so Kevin and I can take our lap tops and work, Facebook or play Platinum Life. They also have DVD players so we can take movies.
Friday
1:30 I to go in for a Neulasta shot. This is given to me to reduce the risk of infection since the chemo will decrease the number of infection-fighting white blood cells. (This will come in handy since I have two snot nose kids!)

So the Thursday and Friday schedule will happen weekly for about 4-5months with the change being I shouldn’t have to be there 6 hours every time on Tursday. I just don’t know how long the following treatments will be.
On another note, I was able to convince two women, one 33 and one 39 who work at the place I got the MRI done to get mammograms. For crying out loud they work at a place that gives them. They were both shocked at my age (not because I look older than I am but because I have cancer people!) so I think that scared them enough to agree. So, make that your mission for this next week: talk to at least two people about the importance of self-exams and mammograms for early detection.

As always, thanks for the love.

Love to all.

5 comments:

  1. You indeed do have a busy week.

    Please let your family and friends know if any of us can do anything...regardless of how small or big...we all just want to help you and your family.

    You're constantly in our thoughts and prayers.

    We love you
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still in my thoughts and prayers. Will most Dr's agree to schedule a mammogram if nothing has been found in an exam? Just curious. Kinda figured insurance wouldn't agree to that. And yes, I would avoid heavy load Caleb that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see that you still have your sense of humor - that is VERY important in times like these!! Again, we are RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER so DO NOT hesitate to call us for ANYTHING!! We dont care if it's to clean your house, cook some meals, take the kiddos off of your hands for a while, mow the lawn, whatever you guys need us to do so that you can get your rest and Kevin can take care of you! Kick this cancer's ass and make it wish it had never chosen your body to live in! We love you all so much and are praying hard, every day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crystal,
    My name is Teri Morgan, I am a friend of Martha's in Midland. I met you at your Grandfather's funeral. 16 months ago my world was turned upside down. I was diagnosed with a rare type of Brain Cancer. I,like you am a fighter. Your attitude will get you everywhere. I had one surgery in Midland because they wanted the tumor out ASAP. It is a long story but I went for a second opinion at M.D. ANDERSON Thank God I did. I had to have a second surgery that added years to my survival rate. I did a year of chemo also.

    My cancer is stable I have an MRI every 4 months to check. My prayers go out to you and your family!
    LOVE AND PRAYERS
    TERI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Crystal, I am Angela's cousin! I want you to know that we are praying for your continued strength and comfort during all of this! I too like Ang am glad you still have a sense of humor! I also agree that attitude is everything, and I think you wanting to kick this cancer's ass is the "right attitude"!!! If there is anything we can do to help you, please just let me know or you can tell Ang! I strongly believe that there is a reason for everything, and remember:

    GOD DOES NOT GIVE YOU ANYTHING YOU CANNOT HANDLE!

    You must be one strong and amazing woman, because he only gives challenging things to people who can handle it! Keep us posted! And so glad the kiddos are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete